Sunday, August 1, 2010

Week 30 (26 July - 1 August)

This morning we ran to the bridge like normal and I did some of the qi gong I have learnt from master liu. At morning line up we had another long and dramatic speech about broken showerheads and that we must not break things because we all need to shower, also people coming to the 5:30 line up in slops or going back to their rooms will need to do the 50 push ups, bla bla bla, heard it all a million times.

For morning training we had to run to the T and then do two sprints of the academy grounds followed by a set of continuous sprints, forward and backwards frog jumps. The rest of the morning we spent doing some sparing and I was really impressed with my improved technique and and punching power. At 10:30 Belle informed us that it would be our last chinese class as she would be leaving and that the beginners and advanced chinese classes would merge, what a joke, I think I'll go insane. In the afternoon we practiced kicks and taking the kicks so that they can be grabbed and a takedown can be initiated. Very tiring and yet again this day has been very sweaty plus I'm certain I'll have some bruises from blocking all the kicks.



After training I got a notice from the post office to collect a parcel that my mother had sent for my birthday, I was really excited, somehow I've always been really fasinated and excited by packages. This package... 4.9kg and apparently it contains chocolate. Despite the rain that had fallen earlier that day I took the bike to Yehe however the postoffice had closed at 16:00 even though the closing time is at 17:30, I guess the chocolate craving will have to wait until tomorrow.

For evening training we did some sparring and I must say my hesitation to hit somebody is slowly subsiding, I don't like being hit in the face, I only got hit in the face once. After the few rounds of punching I did some kicking only sparring and after about 5 minutes I tried a high powered kick to the kidneys and ended up connecting with the shifus knee. Needless to say I was in instant pain, it had taken some skin and hair off and was already starting to swell. I took the rest of the evening off and I am doubtful I will be doing and running tomorrow.

27 July, this morning my leg hurt but not as much as I had expected, I went for a walk, Dimirti took up this opportunity to talk to me. He asked me "do you know what really scares me?" I responded "moths ?", "no" he replied. He said he is afraid of people that have had less education than him, because they can't live a good life and cant channel their desires. Judging by the things he says and does I think almost everybody will be having a more fruitful life worrying less about threats to his brain and body.

For morning training we ran to Yehe which is 9,5km, the weather was extremely foggy and humid, the run which was slow and relaxed took about 50 minutes.




I took the opportunity to collect my parcel, afterwards we asked mister Long to take us back in his famous 3 wheeler, it seems to be in an even poorer mechanical state, it seems that the piston rings are worn and engine oil is seeping into the combustion chamber, which left a trail of blue smoke as he drove along.



When I got back to the academy I unpacked the packaged and it put and enormous smile on my face. It was more thank just chocolate but also a care pack with med lemon, guronson c and calc vita. But of course there was chocolate, all my favorites, too much to mention. (pictures are corrupted)
12 Slabs of Milka, Haribo, Merci, Bounty bars ...
Freshpak Rooibos, Brownies, Jaffa cakes, Medlemon ...


In the afternoon training was a real pain, we just focused on legs, after stretching normally we had to a selection of normal and radial kicks. Afterwards we had to do some power stretching, side splits and forwards splits. Afterwards we had to hold our legs up in about 8 different positions for up to 2 minutes. There is nothing more irritating and frustrating than doing these exercises, so simple yet so difficult (just try standing on one leg whilst the other is parallel to the ground for 2 minutes).

In the evening the shifu told Dan and I to go rest, my leg was hurting and Dan wasn't feeling too good.

Wednesday 28 July, today the weather was overcast yet again and the training was pretty intensive, my clothes were soaked with sweat from morning until evening and because of the weather my washed clothes are taking forever to dry. Dan wasn't feeling well so he was in his room resting. In the afternoon I had to do more exercises holding out my legs but this time with a 2,5kg weight hanging off which was rather difficult, after about 5 sets I then had to punch the boxing bag for 5 minutes without stopping, after I was done the shifu managed to kick the bag hard enough to snap the rope holding it up. After doing some weightlifting I had to do some sparring with the shifu. I managed to get a few punches in and also one or two kicks, but not nearly as many as I was receiving. I then received two knees to my thigh which was extremely painful, I managed to take down the shifu with one of the take down methods I learnt on monday.

The rest of the week was pretty relaxed and not as intensive. Dan was still no feeling well so he took the rest of the week off, Umit also had a stomach bug and did not train this week either. Generally the morale was still low despite the improvement in weather. On thursday we also got a new student from Holland called Tristan (24), he will be staying for one year. Other than that the only exciting thing was a snake that I saw, almost 2 meters in length, by far the biggest I've seen since I'm here, unfortunately I did not have my camera on me however I will return and take some risky close ups.

From kicking the shifus knee, the bruise was awful


I used most of the weekend to relax and on sunday Dan and I went to take some pictures of the snake I had seen earlier that week. However on the way there we spotted another snake busy eating a frog which was quite a spectacular sight. Also Alex (USA) has decided to cut his stay short and will be leaving next week, the academy is not going to be giving him his 40% back. They have come up with some special formula which gives him around 10%, even after speaking to the man in charge nothing changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

living in China